Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Should teenagers be trialed as an adult?

it is said that during teenage years of a person's life they go through major loss of brain tissue causing them not to think as clearly.


F0r example the Lionel Tate case of FloridaShould teenagers be trialed as an adult?
They are in extreme cases such as Murder.. 17 Bordering 18 will not be enough to stop them from being trialed as an adult if the crime is very serious..Should teenagers be trialed as an adult?
I think you mean tried as an adult and in certain instances, yes, I think that they should be. A juvenile rapist or juvenile murderer should not be able to commit a brutal rape or homicide at the age of 15 or 17 and then be able to be freed from juvenile incarceration at the age of 21. Today's society is much different than it was decades ago. Try telling the relatives of the victim that the kiddie perp will only serve a few years in a youth facility, then go free. While I believe they should be tried as adults, I do not believe that they should be qualified for the death penalty. In fact, it is against international law to commit juvenile offenders to death but the United States has repeatedly violated that law. A very famous case going back years ago was the case of Sean Sellers. He was convicted of killing his parents as a juvenile and sentenced to death. The state of Oklahoma did kill him, in direct violation of international law. This is actually a very interesting topic for which there could be endless debate.
it depends
Well I'm not familiar with the Lionel Tate case so I'll make this a general response...being a teenager myself at one time, I can say sure we did somethings then that I wonder how in the world we got through those years. Taking risks, risky behavior, etc. BUT...I also knew full well when I was doing something wrong. I knew when I was doing something that my parents or others in the community would look down on in distaste. Now, I never did anything to get into any trouble with the police, not even close.





But if a teenager takes another persons life such as: drives under the influence (drug and/or alcohol), shoots someone, however it's done. Yes, I think they ought to be viewed as adults in a court of law. You know right from wrong at a very early age. You are corrected and you learn what is right and wrong. You are taught in school, by family, friends etc.





So to use the excuse that I was young and dumb isn't going to cut it.





I will however look up the case against Lionel Tate, now that you've piqued my interest...although I doubt seriously if it will change my views.
either that..or the parents should be..





SOMEONE has to be responsible ..








thsi is the point
yes
depends on what they did....allegedly.
Teenagers 17 and older should be.
Yes I really believe they should be. They know what they're going.
No. I think teenagers should be handled as teenagers, regardless of the crime. I don't want to see the children of our society just thrown to the wolves and thrown away. Whatever happened to rehabilitation? I know there are extreme cases and horrible cases but I still feel something for those kids because they are kids.
Yes.
yes in murder cases, also certain other caseas kids nowdays are well aware of what a crime is all about via computers,TV; and games

No comments:

Post a Comment