Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I am disabled and i want to be independent like other teenagers.........how?

I have Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and I am currently dependent for a lot of things. This is making me very sick and I am becoming frustrated. I heard of famous disabled people like Christopher Reeves who had some facilities to help him. I want to know how can i be independent ?I am disabled and i want to be independent like other teenagers.........how?
Christopher Reeves with all the best at his disposal, did all he could to fund research into spinal cord injuries, but he knew that while it could help others eventually the knowledge would come to late for him. The difference between what the mind wants the body to do and the body will allow is very frustrating. I don't know your case, but I've had my bouts with other things and found dependency to be depressing and frustrating too. I then though of things from a different perspective, and I realized that if this is what I have to live with, then I had to learn that allowing others to help me when necessary could actually help them to learn about themselves and to feel competent and happy. This surprised me at first, then I came to see, that in this world it isn't any good just to give to others, you have to let others give to you too. You know your diagnosis better than anyone, and if it is not in your future to be wholly independent then it is within your capability to allow others to give, and that is, in its own way, a blessing. We are all to some degree dependent on others, Christopher was dependent on his wife, and she loved him for his heart and strength, even though his physical strength was nil. Use what you can to help others reach their psychological potential, and that way you will be of use to them as, in a different way they are of use to you.I am disabled and i want to be independent like other teenagers.........how?
Another person mentioned speech and occupational therapists but left out physical therapists. A physical therapist can help you to maintain flexibility, ROM, strength and help you to keep your mobility so that you are able to remain as mobile and independent in your community as possible. There may be a vocational rehab program in your community that integrates physical therapy, occupational therapy, social workers/counselors, recreational therapy, etc. in which their goal is to help you attain the highest level of independence as possible.
Find a hobby. Once you set yourself apart by finding something you love, you can elaborate on that. Wake up every morning with a new goal to a list of goals--most teens don't do that. If you can't be physically independent, go for mentally and emotionally. If you believe you should be independent, you can be. Best of luck!
I wish I had an answer for you, unfortunately, this is something I don't know much about. I just wanted to write to encourage you. You seem strong willed and you seem like a go-getter just by asking this question.


I hope that you find your answer and I bet you will be well on your road to independance!


good luck!
Well the best way to become idependant is being ur self, and not caring what people think,and 2 set urself free of all that!!! And if u need someone 2 talk email me and i can give u my aol screen name or even we can talk on yahoo messenger alright!!!





PS, i am a teenager so if u talk with a fellow teen then u are deffiantly IDEPENDANT!!!
My mother had polio when she was 5 years old she became paralized waist down. they told her at the time she could do nothing including having children (she had 3) she was extremly gifted in many areas like painting sewing carving just to name a few. God did not leave you alone you have gifts as well just find what your good at and do it. Live life to the fullest and best. Good luck in your life
Research and find your local clinic for help on teach you how to be more independent.
Occupational therapists are healthcare professionals that can help you perform many of the daily activities that you need to do by showing you new techniques and special equipment to help you adapt.


Speech therapists can show you exercises to work muscles required for language and swallowing or provide equipment when necessary.


There are also respiratory therapists who can help ypu maintain lung capacity.


I don't know what kind of resources (such as health insurance) that your family has, but insurance should cover these services to some extent. You can also try getting in touch with the Muscular Dystrophy Association (if you are in the U.S., there are similar nonprofit organizations elsewhere.) They may be able to loan used or aid in the purchase of new equipment. They also have clinics where you can find the previously mentioned therapists. If you enter your zip code in the website listed, you can find clinics in your area.


http://www.mda.org/publications/mdasvcs/鈥?/a>


Be persistent and proactive (get in touch with one agency in your area and use them to help you find other resources). Discuss your needs with your family, too. People often do not understand that doing things for people may not necessarily be the best way to help them.
be yourself


and if there's something ur good at or want to try or want to do, do it





there's not much to it really....you just think there is b/c ur told ur disabled and ur always made to be 'weak' and crap because of it.
  • makeup tips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment