Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I want to own my own ice-cream shop, but who do i hire as ';manager';? teenagers?

I know that 16, 17 and 18 year olds work at most ice cream shop locations in malls... but if they turn 19 and are still working there after a couple years do they commonly become managers of the whole shop?





I'm confused on how the work ladder works. Thanks for the help!





Also, I'm talking about a chain that has 20-80 stores around five cities in the US.I want to own my own ice-cream shop, but who do i hire as ';manager';? teenagers?
Hire the person who is most responsible ( people and money)I want to own my own ice-cream shop, but who do i hire as ';manager';? teenagers?
Age doesn't matter... Hire the best person for the job. Look for experience in managing ';people';. If a teen or adult has experience in bossing people around, hire them. Because being a manage is really a job of managing people and their personalities.
If it's a franchise that you are buying then the people you are buying it off should be able to suggest a solution. I would think that you could hire someone that has managerial experience in one of the existing stores to act as manager, meanwhile the younger people that you employ will eventually be in a position where you could hire them as a manager when the original manager moves on. After employing someone for a while you'll be able to tell if you trust them to train them up to be manager.


You also don't just have to rely on teenagers to work for you. There are plenty of people out there looking for jobs. Why not employ a range of ages! Good luck.
You need to screen your employees. You can't legally discriminate based on age. You can however decide what criteria fit your description of ';qualified';. If you think that an 16 year old is not mature enough to manage your store, which I personally do not, then do not hire a 16 year old.





I managed a fairly large operation before I graduated high school, with little experience. I also worked where it took us 2 years with college educated prospects before we hired a girl that had only ever worked at a burger king and had her GED. She was the best coworker/employee I've ever known. Smarter and harder working than anyone else.





Hire those you've screened personally and feel you can trust. If there are too many, then select a few that you can trust to make the smaller decisions for you.
  • makeup tips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment